Sunday, January 08, 2006

A real conversation at work recently:

Friend: You always seem to have a different book, how do you have so much time to read?
Me: My house is a mess!
We both laugh.
Pause.
Me: Plus, I read a lot when my kids are at their dad's house.
Friend, nodding: Oh, yeah, I bet that helps a lot.

But I was serious with the first response. So, the past couple of weeks, I have been working on getting some of the clutter out of my house, putting things where they belong, and generally cleaning up around here. The apartment looks a lot nicer, but it is seriously cutting into my reading time.

And I need my reading time, because (are you ready for a shocker, here?), I bought still more books this weekend. The book closeout store is closing soon, so they have marked all of their books down to $4 per hardback and $2 per paperback. I tried to be picky, and I think I got some good stuff, but I still bought a bunch of books. I am thinking I might go back next weekend when the kids are at their dad's house, too. It's just such a good deal! I didn't see anything that was on my list of books to buy, but I did get a couple of books written by the same authors as some of the books on the list, so that is good. Total number of books that I own, but have not yet read: 48.

In other news, I have been trying to get back to healthy eating lately. I used to be insanely fanatic about eating healthy food only, but that's been a while, and my figure shows it. Plus, I feel more tired and generally yucky, so I am going back to eating the good stuff. I spent an arm and a leg at the grocery store today and last week stocking up on some stuff, and buying expensive winter produce. I am at that awkward stage of food transition where I never feel quite satisfied by the healthy food, so I feel like I am hungry all the time, even though I am eating enough food. If I do succumb and try something fatty, though, it doesn't satisfy, either; it lays like a brick in my stomach and feels greasy and too rich. I just need to get through this, though, and I will be satisfied with the good stuff, I know it!

1 comment:

Cindy Hughes said...

Susan, I think we are leading paraelle lives here! However, I swear I'm going down to do some sorting, just as soon as I'm finished reading all the blogs I'm behind on!