Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Catching up, again

50. The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

Excellent, excellent book. This was a re-read, so I knew I would love it, but I had forgotten how wonderful it is, and how truly subversive it is. I still want to live on Anarres, though. This book really made me think, and was totally fascinating all the way through.

Before I read this, I read about 236 pages of The Brothers Karamazov. I liked it, but I found I just couldn't face 470 more pages of it, not when I knew that The Dispossessed was waiting.

51. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Again, compulsively readable. Since my best friend gave me a lot of details about the 7th book, the end wasn't a surprise to me, but I still really enjoyed it. I wanted to pick up the last one right away, but my daughter left it at her father's house, so I have to wait for her to bring it home, hopefully Wednesday.

I started Slan by A. E. van Vogt, but then I misplaced it, so I am reading a short mystery called The James Joyce Murder by Amanda Cross. I read a really good Cross book a while back with a character who was obsessed with John Le Carre's character George Smiley, which I enjoyed on its own, but also for prompting me to read more Le Carre.

52. The James Joyce Murder by Amanda Cross

This was a very quick, easy read, and I suspect that I have read it before. I like the dry, intelligent characters in this series, with the main characters being Kate Fansler, a literature professor, and Reed Amhearst, an assistant district attorney. The books are fun to read, and interesting little character studies/mysteries.

I found my copy of Slan, so I am continuing on that now. Good thing, since the girl forgot to bring home Harry Potter 7.

No comments: