Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Some statistics

What is the point of having a big geeky spreadsheet of what I read, if I don't go do analysis every once in a while? LibraryThing is a big help here, too. I am aware that this type of thing puts me well into geek territory, but I find it very interesting, so I don't mind ;-).

First, about my purchases:

Total books purchased in 2008 (so far): 49
January: 19
February: 9
March: 11
April: 10

As you can see, I really do have a serious problem. January involved some pent up desire to purchase, since I did hold off in December, while I was busily purchasing gifts for other people (plus, Christmas tree ornaments; I have a serious problem with those, too). As a comparison, some numbers around what I have read so far this year:

Total books completed (so far): 28
Books purchased in 2008 that I have read: 18
Number of books I purchased that are not going on the TBR list: 4*

So, that means that of the 45 books purchased this year that I actually intend to read all the way through at some point, I have read 40%. I also read 10 tbr books that I already owned before this year, reducing that number from 106 to 96, and leaving my total TBR list at 123 (96 from before this year, plus 27 remaining from the books purchased this year).

Now on to the books that I have read:

Science fiction: 9 books, or 32.14%
General fiction: 7 books, or 25%
Non-fiction: 6 books, or 21.43%
Mystery: 6 books, or 21.43%

Not a bad distribution, I think. It always amazed me, though, that I consistently read more science fiction than any other category, but my largest category of books in my LibraryThing library is Mystery, and always has been. I think part of this is that box of books in my closet, which I suspect has quite a bit of Science Fiction in it. I think it has a fair amount of Agatha Christie books, too, though, so who knows what is up with that. Maybe it is partly that I am more likely to re-read science fiction than any other category.

I am slightly behind pace, with 28% of the book goal completed, with just over 29% of the year over. I am not worried about this, though, because the summer is usually when I read a lot more. I may even make it past 100 books this year!

*2 cookbooks, 1 complete works of Shakespeare, 1 book I had already read that I bought in hard cover because I found it on the bargain table

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Now I'm feeling envious and competitive. I, too, love numbers and statistics, especially when it comes to books. However, since I'm not supposed to have bought any books this year (please don't tell), I'm not sure how to do the stats so my family and friends can't tell how really bad I've been. I know: I'm old enough not to be lying to them (and worse, to myself) and it's not as if my (now grown) children are going without food while I feed my book habit, but still. . .Okay, I'll find a way. You've set a very high bar here.