Saturday, March 12, 2011

Some lists

Things I would like to do with my free time
  1. Read a lot
  2. Write a lot more (than I do now)
  3. Spend time with my children
  4. Spend time with my friends and extended family
  5. Keep up with all my social media (Twitter, Facebook, email)
  6. Learn to crochet and really start to make things
  7. Learn to draw and paint 
  8. Learn to preserve my garden produce 
Things I actually do with my free time
  1. Read a lot, less than at some (obsessional) times, but more than when I was trying to stay current with Twitter
  2. Try to skim through my social media and not miss the big stuff (lately--I used to try to keep up all the time)
  3. Spend time with children, friends, family
  4. Watch TV
  5. Think about the garden 
What I can do to change my second list to more closely align with the first
  1. Realize I cannot do everything I want and prioritize
  2. Keep reading
  3. Plan ahead with friends and family, and fun outings for the children
  4. Keep with the skimming of the social media
  5. Make a regular time to write, and stick to it
  6. Carry a notebook in my purse so that I could write at any time when I unexpectedly have some down time
  7. Consider getting a small notebook computer for myself
  8. See if the girl would like to learn crocheting with me (bonus, crocheting can be done while watching TV!)
  9. Consider taping all tv shows during the week for watching on the weekends

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crochet while listening to books on CD will help with the reading too.

Also, listening to books on CD with the kids can also double-task. We do a lot of that.

Good luck!

Susan said...

Yeah, I have gotten lots of suggestions about the audible books in the past, but I just don't like it as much as reading the book. I think it is my tendency to inattentiveness--whenever I try to listen to books, I am frequently discovering that I completely missed an unknown portion of what has been playing. I just don't retain the information as well without the visual stimulation, and the ability to page back and look at something that I don't remember well.

I do want to do more read-alouds with the kids. I keep meaning to go out and get some of the Nebula nominees for YA fiction, because I think we would all like those. I haven't done a read aloud with S for a long time, and I miss it.